call us for a quick quote

1300 1300 50

Home and Contents Insurance Outside your Home

We often think about home and contents insurance as protecting assets inside our home, but what about things outside the home, or when we are out and about?

When you look at your home insurance, you may find that there are outdoor items on your property that can be included and be covered.


COTA contents insurance cover can include a range of items that are outside your property like push bikes, mobility scooters, lawn mower, BBQ’s and even gardening equipment

These items are covered up to limits set out in the Product Disclosure Statement.


Here are some important questions on this area of cover:


Q: What about items in an outdoor shed or garage, is that treated as contents in the open air?


It depends. If access to the shed or garage is properly secured by a locking system, then it’s likely that the items will be considered to be kept inside the insured’s building. However, if the shed or garage is unlocked or if it is an open sided structure, then the items will be considered to be in the open air.


Q: What about cover for portable items that you take with you away from your home?


Portable contents are items designed to leave your insured address with you (such as a handbag, wallet, suitcase or musical instrument) or on you (such as spectacles, sunglasses,

jewellery or clothing).  If you choose this option, we’ll cover you for accidental loss or damage to your portable contents anywhere in Australia and for a maximum of 35 days in any one period of insurance elsewhere in the world.


As always, you should check your Product Disclosure Statement to find out what is covered.



Insurance and Membership Services Limited ABN 59 057 159 743, AR No 246235 trading as COTA Insurance  arranges this insurance as agent for the insurer Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL No. 234708. We do not provide any advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision, please consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement available from If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium, paid for each policy ranging from 0.3% to 30%. Allianz also pays us a percentage of the profit which exceeds the agreed profit threshold for Home (excluding flood), Landlord (excluding flood), Motor and Caravan and Trailer policies arranged by us or renewed with Allianz in each calendar year, provided that the agreed premium threshold is met for these products. Additionally, we receive a marketing allowance from Allianz every 2 months, which is a percentage of the total premium earned on these policies in the previous 2 months. Ask us for more details before we provide you with services.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Make an
Required Field *