call us for a quick quote

1300 1300 50

Home & Contents Insurance


Prefer to speak to a real person?

Call us on 1300 1300 50

  • Save up to 10% on your first year’s premium when you purchase a new buildings or contents policy online1,4
  • Combine your building and contents cover to receive up to 10% discount on your premium 2,4
  • 24/7 claims lodgement
  • Pay by the month at no extra cost 6



Get protection for your home buildings and your contents by combining buildings and contents covers on the one policy.

If you take both building and contents insurance here’s how they can work together if the unexpected occurs:

check Your house burns down. You could lose all your buildings, and everything in them. With adequate sums insured under buildings and contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
check A fire damages your kitchen. You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as bench tops, with buildings cover. Then you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your contents cover.
check A thief smashes your window, breaks the lock and steals your belongings. You can fix the window and lock through your buildings cover and replace the items that were stolen under your contents cover.

Plus, you will only have to pay the applicable excess(es) once in respect of any single claim if your buildings and contents are damaged by the same insured event.


What events you’re covered for…

Whilst there are some things COTA Home and Contents Insurance does not cover, it will cover you for the damage to your insured property as a result of any of these insured events*:

  • fire or smoke (including bushfires7 and grassfires7)
  • storm, cyclone7, rainwater or run off
  • water or other liquid damage
  • theft or burglary
  • explosion
  • accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
  • impact damage
  • vandalism and malicious damage
  • lightning
  • earthquake8 and tsunami8
  • riot or civil commotion

*For full details of the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement, any supplementary PDS and Home Buildings and Home Contents Key Fact Sheets.

Optional covers…

  • accidental damage
  • portable contents
  • motor burnout
  • flood cover7
  • domestic workers’ compensation cover


The better you understand your policy, the easier it will be if you ever have to claim.

Here is a limited summary of the benefits of a building and contents insurance policy. For full details, of the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), any applicable supplementary PDS before making a decision to purchase the insurance. The Home Buildings and Home Contents Key Fact Sheets (KFS) also sets out some information about the cover.

Select the cover to suit your needs.
Effective 22 February 2021

Standard Covers

Rebuilding and professional fees If you need to rebuild your home after total loss or damage, COTA Home and Contents Insurance will help pay the reasonable costs of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors up to $5,000. check
Cover for the unexpected COTA Home and Contents Insurance offers protection for out of the ordinary but devastating events such as fire7, storm and burglary. check
Cover for storm damage7 Rest easy, within the first 72 hours following a storm, COTA Home and Contents Insurance has got you covered for loss or damage caused by soil movement, landslide, mudslide or subsidence caused by a storm. check
Making your buildings environmentally friendly If your buildings are totally destroyed and need to be rebuilt, in addition to your buildings sum insured, COTA Home and Contents Insurance will pay up to $5,000 (after deduction of any government or council rebates) to help you make the new buildings more environmentally friendly. check
Alternative accommodation for you and your pets If your building or contents are damaged by an insured event during the period of insurance to such an extent that you can’t live in your home buildings, we pay the additional costs for temporary accommodation for you up to 10% of the building or contents sum insured (as applicable) and up to $500 for temporary accommodation for your pets in a commercial boarding establishment. check
Replacement locks COTA Home and Contents Insurance will cover the cost, up to $1,000, to replace the locks or cylinders of any external door or window following an actual or attempted theft or burglary if the key is stolen or you believe the key has been copied. check
Vandalism or malicious damage COTA Home and Contents Insurance will cover you for loss or damage caused by vandalism or a malicious act. check
Debris removal In addition to your buildings sum insured, COTA Home and Contents Insurance will pay up to 10% of your building and/or contents sum insured for the removal of debris from the damaged or destroyed part of the buildings. check
Legal liability COTA Home and Contents Insurance will cover your legal liability up to $20 million for payment of compensation relating to death, bodily injury or illness, and/or physical loss of or damage to property caused by an accident (or series of accidents). check
24/7 claims lodgement When you need to make a claim Allianz are there for you with 24 hour claims lodgement available online, or you can call the claims line to commence the claims process over the phone. check
Cover when you’re moving house COTA Home and Contents Insurance will cover your contents for loss or damage caused by an insured event both at your new and old address for up to 14 days after you first start to move. No cover is provided for loss or damage whilst contents are in transit (unless you have Accidental damage cover). check
Optional Covers Apply to add any of these optional covers for an additional premium and greater cover.
Accidental damage The accidental damage cover option helps protect you in the event of accidental unexpected mishaps that are caused unintentionally – giving you greater coverage for your home building and/or contents. optional
Portable contents You can choose optional cover to protect your portable contents such as mobile phones, cameras and engagement rings in the event of theft or an accident at the insured address and when you take them out of your home, even when you are temporarily outside Australia for up to 120 continuous days in any period of insurance. Some portable contents must be specified as Listed portable contents with the full replacement value to be covered away from the home. optional
Motor burnout   The Motor burnout option covers you if an electrical current damages your household electrical motors. This cover is automatically included if you have taken optional Accidental Damage cover. optional
Flood cover Flood cover may be available as an optional cover added to your buildings policy for an additional premium. A 72 hour exclusion period applies. optional
Domestic workers’ compensation cover Cover for a domestic worker (e.g. gardener or cleaner), if they are injured   while working for you at the insured address.  Only available in ACT, WA and TAS. optional



What does Home Building and Contents Insurance cover?


Buildings – what’s covered Contents – what’s covered
Buildings insurance is designed to protect the physical structures and fixtures that make up your home buildings: from the house itself, to your garage, fences and paved driveways – even built-in appliances like hot water systems, air-conditioners and more. Contents insurance protects the belongings you have at the insured address: from your furniture, carpet and appliances to your BBQ and even your clothes, shoes and handbags.

So, if any of the insured events happen during the period of insurance, we’ll generally pay to repair or replace your contents – up to the policy limits.

It’s up to you to decide the sums insured, and the type and level of cover that you want to take out. People generally want enough insurance to cover the property’s estimated replacement value. If you don’t have enough cover, you could end up having to cover some of the costs yourself. Remember, Allianz will only pay up to the amount of your loss or the sum insured, whichever is the lesser (subject to the policy terms and conditions) – so you should also be careful not to over insure. That’s why we’ve provided these calculators. They work as guides to help you estimate the replacement value of your home building and contents.



Home Building replacement calculator
Value my Home

Home Contents replacement calculator
Value my Contents


Need to make a Claim?

Click here for details on how to lodge a home insurance claim



We do not provide advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision please refer to the relevant Home or Landlord Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) any applicable supplementary PDS and Home Buildings, Home Contents or Landlords Buildings, Landlords Contents Key Fact Sheet also available for reference.

Insurance and Membership Services Limited, ABN 59 057 159 743 AR Number 246235 trading as COTA Insurance arranges this insurance as agent for the insurer Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL No 234708. We do not provide any advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision, please consider the Product Disclosure Statement and key fact sheets available from or by calling 1300 1300 50. The relevant Target Market Determination is available by calling 1300 1300 50. If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Ask us for more details before we provide you with services. 1. Online discount [Home} When you buy a new home insurance policy online a discount of up to 10% is applied to your first years premium including the following optional covers (if selected); Accidental damage, Flood, Motor Burnout and Portable Contents. This discount is not applied on renewal. 2. Combined [Applies to Home & Contents only] A discount of up to 10% for combining Buildings and Contents covers on one policy is applied for Building and Contents, Motor Burnout and Accidental damage cover where applicable. The combined policy discount does not apply to the optional Flood or Portable Contents covers. This combined discount does not apply to Landlord Insurance policies. 3. No Claims Bonus When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claims Bonus (NCB) based on your home or landlord (as applicable) insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, home insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding 5years. Landlord customers must have had no Landlord insurance claims in the preceding 3 years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus. 4. Minimum premiums If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means any subsequent discount will be applied to the reduced premium amount after applying any prior discounts and the effect of the subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two 10% discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts. Discounts do not apply to taxes or government charges. Discounts do not apply to optional covers for Domestic workers' compensation / Landlord workers' compensation, and may not apply to other optional covers (if available and selected). Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and may only apply to the extent that any minimum premium is not reached. 5. Option to change your excess Not available when an additional compulsory excess or imposed excess applies. Minimum Premiums apply. 6. Instalment premiums If you choose to pay your premium by instalments you do not pay us any more than if you pay your premium in one lump sum annually. The premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding. Note: Your financial institution may apply transaction fees to instalment payments. 7. 72 hour waiting period We do not provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing. 8. Earthquake excess An additional imposed excess amount of $250 applies for each claim or loss or damage caused by an earthquake or tsunami, or a series of earthquake or tsunamis, during any period of 48 consecutive hours. For full terms, conditions and exclusions about our home insurance please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Make an
Required Field *